“We cultivate love when we allow our most vulnerable and powerful selves to be deeply seen and known, and when we honour the spiritual connection that grows from that offering with trust, respect, kindness and affection. Love is not something we give or get: it is something that we nurture and grow, a connection that can only be cultivated between two people when it exists within each one of them – we can only love others as much as we love ourselves. Practicing self-love means learning how to trust ourselves, to treat ourselves with respect, and to be kind and affectionate toward ourselves.” – Brene Brown
Here is a A Valentine’s Exercise in Self-Loving written by Lynn Jericho.
Write a Valentine from your I Am to yourself filled with appreciation, recognition, gratitude, wonder, awe, and tender knowledge at being yourself…this body, this life, this personality, this consciousness.
- to your physical body or a part of it… your earlobes, you two big toes, your hair color, your pelvis, your trapezius muscle, your age spots.
- to something about your biology… your deep breaths, your blood pressure, your bladder, your vagus nerve, how you sweat, to your ability to smile or shed a tear.
- to a memory… a detail or a whole episode of your life, a place, a person, a feeling and also just to the the joy and grief of remembering.
- to your way of thinking… how you seek to learn, how you question, how you wish, how you notice the moon, how you finished the crossword puzzle, how you wondered about death.
- to your feelings… your ability to feel a mood, to care, to be emotionally alive and expressive with desire, calmness, delight, courage, And find the compassion to send a love note to your fears, your disappointments and other difficult feelings.
- to your will… your capacity to plan, initiate, execute, complete, and celebrate brushing your teeth, checking your email, writing a poem, vacuuming your living room, singing a song, weeding your garden, praying.
Take some time today to love yourself alone!
And know that you are loved by God immeasurably.